Sunday, August 24, 2008

At Ease, Son

I've been looking at the cute monogrammed cards that people have posted on their blogs.....someday, when I have the funds and when I can decide which font I like, I'll get a monogram stamp. But until then, I'll just have to make due with what I have.

For a test-run, I decided to make Sophia a monogrammed card using my Hero Arts alphabet set. She likes pink & brown and owls, so I thought Sassafras Lass' "Owl Pals" would be perfect. Okay, this is a lousy photo, because trust me, it really is cuter IRL...
SUPPLIES: Paper...Dark Chocolate, Stamper's Select (PTI), Owl Pals (Sassafras Lass); Stamps...Small Variety Alphabet (Hero Arts), Boxes Bags & Tags (PTI); Misc...dimensionals, classic circles nesties

After I made Sophia's card, Peter was all bummed, because "they don't really make monograms for boys." Partly true, but think about how many boys would really use a set of monogrammed cards for something other than things-that-get-stuffed-under-your-bed-when-mom-says-"clean your room" and that's not a huge market for boy-appropriate monograms.

But since Peter is my youngest, I didn't want to short-change him on a monogrammed card or miss the opportunity develop his hidden talent for letter writing. Peter loves all things military. And how cool is it to be 9 years old and your favorite color is Camo?
I actually had some camo DP in my stash. I found a cute font online (USAAFCStencil) that looks army-ish. I just printed his initials on to cardstock, then cut them out with my nesties. To give it an aged look, I sponged on some distress ink (I really need some practice with this stuff, because my results looked dirty instead of aged...the kids really like the look, so I'll probably have to do more of it).

SUPPLIES: Paper...Kraft (PTI), Georgia-Pacific 110# white, Green Camo (creative imaginations); Font...USAAFCSTENCIL (dafont.com)

A big Thank-You to Peter for loaning me his comforter and his room for this photo! I wish photos could capture the wonderful 9 year-old boy aroma, too...he uses this quilt year-round, and it is awesome!

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

hey, when do I get my monogrammed card?